Violette Field Threads Charlie Dress made from unicorn fabric for a special birthday. It features sparkly fabric with unicorns, sparkly buttons, and hidden pockets in the skirt. This is such a cute, retro look and has a full, twirly skirt.Read More
I finally used up some of the oldest fabric in my stash. It has been sitting on my sewing table for about 8 years. My mom got a few yards of blue, Hello Kitty fabric for me to make something for my second daughter and I just never got around to it. She is 12 now, so I think the window of opportunity has passed. I have a niece who loves kitties and the color blue, so I decided to make a dress for her. I chose the Maisie dress pattern from Violette Field Threads. It was one of the patterns I chose as part of my Project Run and Play prize and I have been wanting to make one anyway. My 4yo is about the same size as my niece (they were born 2 days apart!) so she modeled it for me to take pictures. I was in a hurry and my camera settings were clearly off. So the pictures are a little funky, but I gave the dress away and couldn't take more. No amount of editing could save them.
The tie sleeves are cute, but my favorite part is the scoop back!!!
I actually ended up making two dresses, assembly line style, since I had so much of this fabric. I made the second for another niece of mine in a size 2T and chose the longer sleeves. I did make a mistake on one of the dresses, but I am not going to tell you about it. OK? Overall, this was a really cute pattern and I was happy with how they turned out.
My niece just turned 5 years old and she is such a cutie pie! She has big, pink glasses and she was wanted a "kitty" birthday party. When I saw THIS fabric on Joann's website I knew that I had to make her a special dress for her birthday.
She is also very thin with long legs so I thought it would be nice for her to have something sized just for her. I decided on the Charlie dress pattern from Violette Field Threads (one of my Project Run and Play prizes!) because it has a retro feel that worked well with the fabric. It has that cute, knot detail in the front, a very full skirt, and pockets in the side seams.
I happened to have JUST ENOUGH of the pink polka dot fabric in my stash and it matched perfectly! I lined it with a matching, bubble gum pink solid. I debated on which buttons to use and took an instagram poll with the pink ones winning.
This pattern went together pretty well. I did have some trouble with the cap sleeves/enclosed side seams so I rigged it. If anyone has a technique for that, please teach me!
I wish I had had enough fabric left for the matching knot headband. Bummer! The free pattern for that is HERE if you want to check it out!
You may also like...