Scrappy Square Boys Quilts February 24, 2017 – Posted in: boys, charity, quilts, sewing
This is all very unusual for me.
First of all, I actually finished not just one, but two quilts!
Second, they are made for boys!
I bet you didn’t think I even owned boy fabrics. Well, that just goes to show how old these quilt squares are. Some of them were cut over 10 years ago. These are almost my oldest unfinished quilts, but sadly, not quite.
I used to make a lot of pillows from character fabrics – Toy Story, Jurassic Park, The Lion King, Rugrats, Clifford, and Bob the Builder, etc. – and these are some of the scraps. The ends are even borders from some Clifford pillow panels.
I remember one time when my son was little, he helped me to put some of these squares together. I let him arrange them and I sewed them together. I am pretty sure he is too cool for that now. So, these quilts are nearly the last of my little boy fabrics. Also, my little boy isn’t little. sniff sniff
I backed them with fleece instead of using batting, so I hope they hold up OK.
On the smaller one, I did a little more practice with free motion quilting. I have a long way to go, but it is getting better.
On the larger one, I did wavy line quilting, which is the easiest way for me to machine quilt.
I machine stitched the binding because of the fleece backing. That was the hardest part. I would rather sew it by hand. Hesitation to do the binding accounts for several months of the procrastination to finish these. I plan on donating the larger one to Project Linus or the local NICU, but I haven’t figured out what to do with the small one just yet. I am just glad that they are finished and I hope that they will go on to bless someone else’s little boy.